Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Holiday Weekend

Lucas here... to carry on last year's tradition, Mommy and Daddy let me do my own post about 4th of July weekend (mostly because they're too worn out to fool with this website after taking me on a trip). Last 4th was spent with family and awesome fireworks in Shenandoah, VA. The next morning we drove to Ohio to pick up our sexy yellow boat. And if you recall, I was tyrannical in the car on both legs of the trip :) I was teething and tired, and let them hear my protests for hours!

This year, we headed to the Finger Lakes of NY to visit Mommom and Pop again at their lake house. We went over Memorial Day too, and it was so much fun! I could not wait to go back. For days before the trip, I'd exclaim: "Going to New York tomorrow", "Gonna ride mine bike", and things like that. Well, once we got in the car, I had a different tune to sing. Baby Charlotte is a little more vocal now (last time she was a mere 2 month old), and she was not enjoying her car ride AT ALL. So, I figured I'd keep her company by whining and having fits too. But, after 6 1/2 hours, we made it! Not too bad thought Mommy and Daddy...

While there, we had a blast. I played lots on the porch... riding my tricycle and motorcycle, and rolling around my small cars.
On Friday, we went to a big Amish market. They have lots and lots of cool stuff... craft and clothing stands, baked goods, veggies, plants, and alpacas! I got a soft pretzel made the Amish way - from the Auntie Anne's stall :) Then we headed off to a pick your own blueberry farm, but they were closed. Baby Char-lick and I both fell asleep by accident on that ride - Mom and Dad pulled a fast one on us by driving a long way to something that just happened to be closed. Hmmm... Then, we headed to the "Meaner Wiener" hot dog stand where I ate tons of sweet potato fries, but not too much wiener.

Saturday was 4th of July and boy were we busy having fun!!! In the morning, we went to the 66th annual "Flying Breakfast". It was at the local small airport. Lots of little planes fly in from all over the region. There is a buffet-style breakfast in the airplane hangar and tons of people come to eat and see the planes. The folks made me eat first before I could have any fun. But after eating, we got to walk around the fields where the airplanes were parked and look at them all. It was super neat - planes would land, take off, and ride right next to us. Maybe I can hang out on the runway sometime at BWI too, huh???
I even got to see some fire engines up close. I wasn't too keen on sitting in back, but once I got behind the wheel, I was in heaven!
Then we went back to the Amish market so Dad could get some blueberry bushes. There was a horse named Buck that gave pony rides too. I watched 2 little girls go, and talked about how I was gonna ride next. Daddy paid the man and sat me on the saddle... Then I decided I didn't wanna ride anymore, and the man was nice enough to return Daddy's dinero. Maybe next year!
Instead I frolicked in the wooded area while Charlotte got some milk.
After my monster 3 hour nap, we headed to Hammondsport (into town, as Pop taught me to say) for the parade. We got some ice cream and sat down on a curb. Turns out, a family from Annapolis sat down right next to us. What are the odds? Actually, I didn't like them too much - their kids kept hogging the candy that the parade people threw. Anyway, the parade started with some loud fire engines coming up the street right next to me. Now, I have a love/hate relationship with fire engines... I love to talk about them, make their noises, see them driving around... But I am terrified of toy ones if they make noise... So, naturally, I jumped into Daddy's lap and remained there for the duration of the parade. But it was fun! I saw fire engines from all different towns, weird little ponies, cool cars, and even SPONGEBOB!!! What could be better?
Pop trying to hitch a ride on the Shriners' mini-carsNext we headed back to the house. For once, Lottie went to bed before we had dinner. So, we didn't have to listen to her whining for a change while we ate. I had a delicious grilled burger and asparagus, then we got ready for fireworks. Daddy stopped in PA on the way up to get a few things. I did not like being on the driveway up close - not even for sparklers. I stayed up on the porch to watch from a distance. Mommom covered my ears for me while we watched fireworks go off all around the lake.
She'll turn me into a sissy yet...
Although I stayed up late Saturday night, I got up extra early the next morning... Gotta keep my parents on their toes - you know how that goes ;P Daddy and Pop went fishing while Mommom, Mommy, Lottie, and I went to the park. We played on the playground and waded/threw rocks in the water. It was a great morning til I fell on the way to the car and skinned my knee. Even though it was just a little cut, I screamed like I was getting my arm hacked off with a dull axe. Mom just loves when I act like a drama queen and, like usual, I got a lollipop out of the deal!
Fishing for seaweedThe ride up was not great, but bearable for the parents. And we were SUPER good every time we went anywhere while up there. Baby Char-lick didn't cry even once! Mom and Dad were hoping the ride home would go well too. So,after lunch, we hit the road back to MD. Lottie and I both slept for the first hour of the journey.
But once we woke up, it was game on! Might as well carry on the July 4th tradition of being hellacious in the car :) Charlotte was ticked about something and screamed for much of the way. So annoying... She wasn't hungry or tired. I don't see why she wouldn't just sit there and enjoy the ride... or just go to sleep? So, I decided to join her game. We both screamed. I begged for snack after snack, and when Mommy handed them to me I'd scream "Noooo!!!" I thrashed around in my seat and whined. Whenever Mommy tried to comfort Lottie, I'd scream for her to hold my hands too, or to give me a pacifier. If sister gets it, I should too, right??? It's only fair. Every once in a while, something would occupy me - a koosh ball found in a parking lot, a Burger King crown - but not for long. Then I'd get back to my crying game.

I played with this and yelled "I'm like a King!!!" for about 3 minutes before I tore it to shreds and then cried that it was broken.
Everyone was glad to get home and OUT of that car!!! Mommy and Daddy say that we're not going back until we're old enough to drive ourselves... We'll see!

Here are just some random cute shots from our weekend:

All decked out in my 4th of July T-shirt
A sleeping babyI wish Mommy had figured out how to do non-blurry close-ups when I was a babyLottie's makeshift 4th of July outfit... Mommy made a special trip out to get her a girly outfit, but Charlotte pooped on it early this morning. So, she got stuck wearing one of my old onesies!Eating Mommom's special dessertJust hanging outKeeping watch over the lakeThe girls :)Why ride when you can carry?My new special chair

No comments:

Post a Comment