Sunday, September 12, 2010

Pre-school

There are no pics here (perfect week for camera to be broken), but I wanted to jot down some things about Lucas' first week at school, so that I'll remember one day... But feel free to read the details of his week!

Tuesday - day #1 - He had been super excited all summer about going, but I figured as the actual day got closer, he'd start getting a little more anxious... Nope. He woke up super excited... Told me he was gonna wear his favorite red Lightning McQueen shirt, asked if I had his bag ready, and demanded to leave the house within 3 minutes of being awake. We dropped Lottie off at Dineyli's. All the way there he told her that he was going to school, but she couldn't cause she was too little. She was not too happy about being left there alone :( We rode to Mt. Providence Child Development Center, which is about 3 minutes from my school and located in a convent. Bizarre, but it has a great reputation... The director is a nun and still wears a habit. The classroom teachers are not nuns, but some of them so help out during the day... When we pulled into the driveway, Lucas said - wow, that's a big school for lots of little people! We parked and went in. The head nun was in the hallway and Lucas ran up to her, hugged her, and said - I love you and you're my best friend. And you're my teacher so I'll do whatever you say! Funny stuff... And going way better than I'd expected... We put all his things in his own blue locker and I walked him to the playroom. "School" doesn't start til 8:30 when the teachers get there, so from 7-8:30, he gets free play there. I gave him a hug and kiss and he told me he was going to play so I could go to school... And I left.

I picked him up just before 3. They had just gotten up from nap, and were in the process of going potty, putting blankets/pillows back in the lockers, and sitting down for snack. I told him that I would just wait while he had snack with his friends. He said - no, I don't want it, let's just go right now. Ok....

So, we left. There is a daily report waiting for me in his locker each afternoon, so that's nice. It tells you what skills they worked on, how they ate/slept, their fav part of the day, and about any behavior issues... It said that he slept well and ate all his food. He did NOT pee during his nap - thank God, cause I was super worried about it! He did cry for me several times through the day and was a little too talkative during circle time.

His teacher's name is Ms. Kathy. Sister Lucia helps their 3.5-4 yr old class all day, and Ms. Otis is the assistant for the afternoon.

Wednesday - day #2 - He says he doesn't want to go to school when he wakes up, but I tell him he has to. He seems ok with it. Charlotte was happier being dropped off today :) When I dropped him off in the playroom, he looked like he was almost going to cry. One of the ladies there took him to the window so he could wave bye. I found out later that he did cry after I left, but was fine all day after that. On the way home in the afternoon, I asked him a million questions. He didn't want to answer. After every one, he'd say super fast - I don't know, nothing, the end! And put his hands over his ears. Little turkey! I don't like not knowing what he does all day...

Thursday - day #3 - Felt guilty. For the first time EVER, I was off work and didn't keep him home with me. I would have if it were a month from now, but I didn't want him to miss any of the routine with his class. To top off my guilty feelings, he started sobbing as soon as we walked into the playroom. Sister Lucia had to pry him off me and take him to the back door for him to wave. When I walked by, he was not waving... just screaming :( Tony went with me to pick him up (he'd never seen the school), and we were a little later than normal. He was out having fun on the playground. Got a good report, and there was no more crying after I left. Ms. Otis said he was a lovely little boy!

Friday - day #4 - On the way to school, he told me that he was not going to cry today... He would just smile and wave and then go play... And he did! A very smooth drop off. Tony picked him up and Ms. Kathy wrote on his report that he'd had a great week! Here's to hoping next week is good too, with a few less tears in the mornings :P

And get this - Bill Cosby is spending the morning at his school on Tuesday! Crazy!!!

1 comment:

  1. awwww!! What a change from one day to the next!! Hope it's going well today :)

    ReplyDelete