Sunday, December 4, 2011

Friday Night Lights

For a few weeks, my school's usually quite average football team was in the race for the state championship! I don't usually pay much attention to our football team, but they went undefeated this year in the regular season... I have a few cheerleaders in my classes and one football player who had been keeping me updated. I promised that if they went into post-season play, I'd come watch them. The first playoff game, they played at our home field. But, we were busy and didn't go. They won! The next week, we played downtown at Poly. We took busloads of kids with us and had more fans than the home team. It was an amazing experience! They had a beautiful field/stadium. We took the kids and sat with one of my teacher friends and her daughter, as well as some other people I work with... Watching all the students dressed in school colors and cheering was fantastic... especially when we WON again!!! What a night. Tony and I were so excited we stopped for a midnight snack on the way home and had a terrible time getting to bed. I made a cool powerpoint of the game to show my classes the following Monday. That way, we got to see the game again, and practice our Spanish! In all my years teaching, this game may be my most memorable event :)

The following Friday, they played Old Mill (which is right behind our neighborhood - very convenient!). They were expecting such a crowd that they sold tickets online. We went again and there had to be close to 5,000 people there. It was crazy. But, the stadium wasn't nearly as big/nice, so we had to stand the entire time to see anything. And the kiddos weren't really in the mood to be there... AND we were getting KILLED! Old Mill has a scary good running back who scored 7 touchdowns on us. So, we left after the 3rd quarter. Too bad they didn't win, or they'd have played at the Ravens Stadium for the state championship (which happened 2 nights ago)... and Old Mill won it all!

No comments:

Post a Comment